Photo of the attorneys of Pierce Pierce and Napolitano,

Fighting For You And Your Future

Work injuries aren’t just physical – they can be mental too

On Behalf of | Mar 30, 2020 | Worker's Compensation

When you think of injuries at work, you’re probably picturing a warehouse worker who strains his back or someone slipping in a grocery store. Despite common belief, not all injuries at work are physical. Many people suffer from mental health issues because of work as well.

What are the most common mental health issues at work?

Mental health issues can have a huge impact on one’s ability to perform at work. Some of the most common issues that occur because of a work-related incident are post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression and anxiety.

How does the workplace create mental health issues?

Mental health issues can be spurred on by many types of life events, including those at work. Harvard Health Publishing reports that depression and anxiety can be linked to stressors at work. These disorders, in turn, continue to affect work performance through passivity, aimlessness, fatigue, impaired judgment, restlessness, difficulty concentrating, worrying, irritability and even physical symptoms.

Traumatic events at work, like an accident, assault or attack can cause PTSD. Similarly, sustaining a physical injury at work can be a leading factor for issues such as anxiety and depression.

Are mental health issues covered by worker’s compensation?

Like any injury or issue, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that mental health issues need to be linked to work before they are compensated by an employer. A physician or licensed healthcare professional must diagnose the illness and determine whether the illness is work-related.

If you are suffering from a mental health issue because of work, you should first talk to your health care provider. Then, talk with your employer about what is going on. If they do not carry worker’s compensation insurance or deny your claim, you should talk with an attorney and they will help you file for compensation.